Jumptonavigation Jumptosearch DarwinStationplatforminApril2007LocationSalooStreet,DarwinAustraliaCoordinates12°28′23″S130°54′14″E/12.472964°S130...">
Station platform in April 2007
|Location||Saloo Street, Darwin
|Owned by||Great Southern Rail|
|Distance||2,979 kilometres from Adelaide|
|Opened||4 February 2004|
Darwin railway station is the terminus station of the Adelaide-Darwin railway in the Darwin suburb of East Arm. The station is 2,979 km (1,851 mi) from Adelaide Parklands Terminal and 18 km (11 mi) by road from Darwin's city centre. The single platform is level with the ground, requiring the use of boarding stairs.
In July 2004, a preserved 1886 Baldwin steam locomotive was brought to the station for public display. Sandfly was the first locomotive in the Northern Territory and was used for construction of the Palmerston and Pine Creek Railway before working the line for 63 years was brought to the station from Adelaide for public display. Sandfly was later removed to a hangar in Parap.
Darwin station is served by The Ghan which operates weekly in each direction, with a second service between May and August. The service has a motorail service with facilities for loading and unloading at the station.
Media related to Darwin railway station at Wikimedia Commons