Jumptonavigation Jumptosearch Forthepreviouselementaryschoolat17thandTaskerStreets,seeGeorgeW.ChildsSchool.JeremiahNicholsSchoolU.S.NationalRegiste..">
Jeremiah Nichols School
Jeremiah Nichols School, May 2010
1599 Wharton St.,|
|Area||1.8 acres (0.73 ha)|
|Architect||Henry deCourcy Richards, Irwin T. Catharine|
|Architectural style||Late Gothic Revival, Art Deco|
|MPS||Philadelphia Public Schools TR|
|NRHP reference #||88002241|
|Added to NRHP||November 18, 1988|
G.W. Childs Elementary School, formerly the Jeremiah Nichols School and Norris S. Barratt Junior High School, is a historic elementary school located in the Point Breeze neighborhood of Philadelphia, Pennsylvania. It is part of the School District of Philadelphia.
The current school building was built in stages. The first building was designed by Henry deCourcy Richards in 1908. An expansion was built in 1926–1927 and was designed by Irwin T. Catharine. The Richards building is a three-story, three bay, brick building on a raised basement in the Late Gothic Revival-style. The Catharine building is a four-story, seven bay, brick building on a raised basement in the Art Deco-style.