Entrance and groundskeeper house in 2011
Oconee Hill Cemetery is a cemetery in Athens, Georgia, United States. The extant cemetery opened in 1856 and is located near the University of Georgia.
Oconee Hill Cemetery was purchased in 1855 by the city of Athens when further burials were prohibited in the old town cemetery on land owned by the University of Georgia. In 1856, the city formed a self-perpetuating Board of Trustees to hold and manage in trust the original purchase of 17 acres (69,000 m2) on the west side of the North Oconee River as a public cemetery for the benefit of the town.
On May 22, 2013, it was added to the National Register of Historic Places.
- David Crenshaw Barrow Jr., chancellor (president) of the University of Georgia.
- Walter Barnard Hill, chancellor (president) of the University of Georgia.
- Omer Clyde Aderhold, president of the University of Georgia.
- Frederick Corbet Davison, president of the University of Georgia.
- Andrew A. Lipscomb, chancellor (president) of the University of Georgia.
- Tinsley W. Rucker, Jr., United States Representative for Georgia's 8th congressional district.
- Augustin Smith Clayton, United States Representative from Georgia.
- Samuel Joelah Tribble, United States Representative for Georgia's 8th congressional district.
- Luther Glenn, Mayor of Atlanta from 1858 to 1860.
- William Bailey Lamar, United States Representative for Florida's 3rd congressional district.
- Crawford Long, physician noted for early use of diethyl ether as an anesthetic.
- Thomas Reade Rootes Cobb, Confederate general
- Robert Grier Stephens, Jr., United States Representative for Georgia's 10th congressional district.
- Howell Cobb, 23rd Speaker of the United States House of Representatives, Governor of Georgia, United States Secretary of the Treasury.
- Wally Butts, Georgia Bulldogs football head coach.
- Henry Hull Carlton, United States Representative for Georgia's 8th congressional district.
- Bill Hartman, former Georgia Bulldogs football player and coach and Washington Redskins player
- Dean Rusk, United States Secretary of State from 1961 to 1969 under presidents John F. Kennedy and Lyndon B. Johnson.
- Ricky Wilson, guitarist in the rock band The B-52's.
- William M. Browne, general in the Confederate States Army during the American Civil War.
- Sampson Willis Harris, United States Representative for Alabama's 3rd congressional district and Alabama's 7th congressional district.
- Eve Carson, Student Leader from University of North Carolina, and homicide victim.
- Young L.G. Harris, Athens Judge, state representative and namesake of Young Harris College and Young Harris, Georgia
- Mildred Lewis Rutherford
- Lucy May Stanton, artist known for her portrait miniatures
Marshall, Charlotte Thomas (2009). Oconee Hill Cemetery of Athens, Georgia. I. Athens, Georgia: Athens Historical Society. p. 620. ISBN 0972530215.