Jumptonavigation Jumptosearch inLimassolDistrict,CyprusPelendriΠελένδριPelentriorPelendriaPelendriLocationinCyprusCoordinates:34°53′45″N32°57′54″E&..">
Pelentri or Pelendria
|Time zone||UTC+2 (EET)|
|• Summer (DST)||UTC+3 (EEST)|
Located below the Troodos Mountains, in the region of Pitsilia. It is located on a barren hillside, at an altitude of 800 meters above sea level, 40 kilometers from the city of Limassol. Adjacent to the Trimiklini villages Saittas, Potamitissa and Amiandos.
The terrain is rugged and mountainous with narrow deep valleys and steep slopes. Of the three sides of the village loom tall peaks that their height in many cases exceed 1000 meters.
The climate of the region combined with the relatively high annual rainfall received by the village (about 750 millimeters) favors the cultivation of various fruit trees (apple, peach, pear), vines wine varieties, olive, almond, nuts and vegetables (green beans, peas, cramps, tomatoes, cucumbers, onions, zucchini, potatoes).
However, due to the relief of the area there are several uncultivated areas which gives a rich present of the natural vegetation. Here there is a variety of plants: πεύκων, λατζιές, αντρουκλιές, τρεμιθιές, ξυσταριές, περνιές, αγριοελιές, σκλήδρους, πλατάνους, μερσινιές. Part of state forests Troodos and monastery are within the administrative boundaries of Pelendri.
The Pelendri was a known settlement that existed during the Middle Ages. De Our Matri this an Pelendres or Pelondres, giving the information that the 1353 was a fief of John de Lusignan, Prince of Antioch and a member of the royal family of Cyprus. The medieval chronicler George Voustronios mentions twice the village at the time. In one case mentions that around 1461, the village lived a rich (probably trader) named satin. In this case the Voustronios speaks two Prastio (farms) in Pelendri owned Ritzos what Marino and confiscated in 1474 by Catherine Cornaro. These two farms are Kardamas (Kardama) and Filagra, were dissolved during the Turkish occupation. The Filagra but refounded with the same name.
Apart from these two settlements, according to elders narratives, said that there were still 14 small villages, which have had to be abandoned and ve joined with residents of Pelendri to feel safer. As such villages reads: Poole, in which were found important archaeological objects of the era of Alexander the Great, the oven, in which there are traces of old settlement, Troumithos, in which there is a very old mine chalcopyrite, the Tzeramis, which destroyed completely destroyed by a landslide, the Rontia, the Konnara, Kaminia, the Mazokampos, the Chalazin, the Argyrou, the Deisis, the Ais Giannis Potamoulion, the Pontikia and Kountouries.
|1881||444||The census does not distinguish the inhabitants according
to their religion or nationality.
|1891||515||514 non-Muslims, 1 Muslim.|
|1911||715||714 non-Muslims, 1 Muslim.|
|1921||798||798 non-Muslims, 1 Muslim.|
|1931||982||982 Christians, 1 Muslim.|
|1946||1504||1503 Greeks Orthodox, 1 Muslim Turkish.|
|1973||2253||Only Greek Cypriots.|
|1976||2218||Only Greek Cypriots.|
|1982||1739||Only Greek Cypriots.|
|1992||1377||Only Greek Cypriots.|
|2001||1185||Only Greek Cypriots.|
|2011||1074||Only Greek Cypriots.|
|The comments refer to the separation of the residents according to their religion or nationality as it was in the corresponding census.|
Data for the diagram from wikidata.
|Wikimedia Commons has media related to Pelendri.|