Jumptonavigation Jumptosearch Thisarticleincludesalistofreferences,butitssourcesremainunclearbecauseithasinsufficientinlinecitations.Pleasehelptoim..">
This article includes a list of references, but its sources remain unclear because it has insufficient inline citations. (May 2016) (Learn how and when to remove this template message)
New Haven #140 Roger Williams at the Danbury Railway Museum
|Number built||1 train set|
|Formation||2 cab cars and 4 intermediate cars|
|Car body construction||Stainless Steel|
|Prime mover(s)||GM 110, (2 per car)|
|Power output||550 hp (410 kW) (per car)|
|Transmission||Hydraulic torque converter|
|Electric system(s)||600 V DC Third rail|
|Current collection method||Contact shoe|
|AAR wheel arrangement||
Diesel power: 1A-A1 |
Electric power: A1-1A
|Track gauge||4 ft 8 1⁄2 in (1,435 mm) standard gauge|
The Roger Williams was a streamlined, six car, lightweight, DMU passenger train, built by the Budd Company in 1956 for the New York, New Haven and Hartford Railroad. The train was based on Budd's successful RDC DMU cars. The end two cars were equipped with streamlined locomotive style cabs and noses, resembling those on the Fairbanks-Morse P-12-42 Diesel locomotives. The four intermediate cars lacked operating controls and cabs.
For operation into Grand Central Terminal, the cars were each equipped with third-rail shoes, and small traction motors, allowing them to operate into the terminal under electric power, with their engines shut down.
After a short period of time in high speed service, the train was split up, and the cars were used in service with the New Haven's other RDCs. They worked for the New Haven, Penn Central, and Amtrak, until the last cars were retired in the 1980s.
|Wikimedia Commons has media related to Roger Williams.|